Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Stanzel Family Tree

9 January 2019

This is a new subject and is a copy of my family tree written by a extended family member
who lived in Kelowna B. C. at time of writing, 4 Nov. 1978, at the age of 80.
Updates/corrections in [ xx ] by myself from info I knew in Nov. 2014.

'This article is about Joseph Stansal who is the second son of Joseph Stanzel'.
NOTE. When Joseph Stansal applied for land in Bruce County Ont., the clerk, unknown to
Joseph, misspelled his surname and when he went back, about 3 yrs later, to prove up, left his
misspelled name as it was, rather than going thru the procedure again, or so Joseph was told.
Those in this branch still spell their surname,  Stansal.

'I wish to dedicate this family history to my great grandson, E. Stansal. I can only give what I was told by my father regarding the early history of the Stanzel family. My great grandfather, Joseph Stanzel, was born in the Black Forest region of Germany  c1788, exact location unknown. Being
the eldest son of the family, apparently all first born sons were named Joseph, which was a tradition
going back over the centuries. Born and raised in a Roman Catholic family, he was conscripted when
a young man into Napoleon's Army.  Alsace-Lorraine was under French rule at that time. It was a rich part of the country in Forestry and Mining and had changed hands between France and Germany
at least twice over the years.'

To be continued shortly.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Jim my name is Allan Stanzel I would like to find out more about Joseph. I am from Carleton Place. Thanks my number is 613 818 8503