Friday, May 24, 2019

Ottawa at 200 years and on

24 May 2019

To-day is the 200th anniversary of the birth of Queen Victoria. She became the Queen of England
in 1837/8 and reigned until her death in 1901. PBS had a series of her early life awhile ago.

Other events of 200 yrs ago or older.

My ancestor Joseph Stanzel settled in Goulbourn Twp.  with his first wife and son John.
They settled on Con. 9, Lot 3. Spent the rest of his life there.

The initial settlers of Goulbourn and Richmond were welcoming spring having just spent
their first winter as settlers. By my count there were 454 families, 181 of which were
previously soldiers, mainly from the 100th/99th Regiment.
Info on the Richmond Military Settlement can be searched in the pub 'Carleton Saga'
by Harry and Olive Walker [my copy is the second printing 1971].
[starting on page 50, preliminary info. on the settlement.]
The info, chapter 5, Heart-break Journey, page 52  details their  settlement.
I have listed the 454 settlers in my blog, here, previously, the soldiers in alpha order
in 2015 and the settlers in 2016 and part of 2017. I am leaning towards listing  info on
those who left, mainly the soldiers. But I have recently noted that the oldest children
of the settler were unable to obtain land when they were ready so they also left.
My next post I will explain the 100th/99th situation and the whereabouts of the
two oldest sons of my ancestor. One never knows what one will find??
Jim Stanzell      [I corrected some errors Sunday  26 May]

No comments: